Write Story – Win Contest – Be Published
Short Story = A brief exploration of a subject in prose expressing a personal view or interpretation of a subject or topic.
Schools may submit students’ short stories online to the American Diversity Report at firstname.lastname@example.org before or by March 1, 2020.
- Students should be at least 13 yrs. old.
- Only one short story written per contestant should be submitted on or before the specified deadline. Submissions must come from the school/teachers, not the students.
- The top of each page must include the contestant’s name, page number, story title, and name of school.
- The Short Story should have a single storyline, no subplots, no more than three or four characters and a short time scale.
- The story must be double spaced and between 1000 and 1500 words.
Scroll down to Download the Short Story Writing Guide
Judges will use the Following Criteria and report the student with the highest totals of points students per school by May 15, 2020.
General Merit (25 pts)
- Ideas (single storyline, no subplots, 3-4 characters, short time scale)
- Organization (consistent writing style, consistent mood, tone and space)
- Wording (appropriate language, brief descriptions)
Mechanics (25 pts)
- Word usage
Overall Effect (50 pts)
- Minimum background
- concise dialogue
- no lengthy preamble
- no contrived ending