Health, Healthcare and Equity
Presenters for this Black-Jewish Dialogue session included Beverly Coulter, Pastor William Hicks, and Dr. Frank Miller with facilitators: Rabbi Craig Lewis of Mizpah Congregation and Deborah Levine, ADR Editor. The discussion included descriptions of the healthcare challenges facing the African-American community and the Jewish community, as well as mutual challenges in the COVID-19 era.
– Topics focused on both local (Chattanooga) and the larger healthcare equity picture and included:
- The incidences of specific diseases in each community through genetics and/or economics
- The affect of the environment on our health
- Local and federal policies affecting health and healthcare
- Food and nutritional challenges
- Options that communities and religious organizations can consider implementing or intensifying